Monday, June 24, 2019

Wedding Day Midge 1990


At the beginning of my collecting I set certain rules that since then I have repeatedly broken. I decided my collection would exclude all sorts of beach dolls, princesses/ magical creatures, ankle-long hair and brides. And? Well see for yourself:
No beach dolls – see Sun Sensation Skipper, Wet’n Wild Skipper
No princesses/ magical creatures – see rerooted Jewel Hair Mermaid Midge
No ankle-long hair- see Hollywood Hair Teresa
No brides – see Wedding Day Midge
No comment…


Wedding Day Midge has been by favorite Diva ever since I began to appreciate the headmold. The doll would’ve been perfect had it not been for her outfit. I just don’t like wedding dresses. While others may deem them spectacular I think them boring. In fact it took me good two months to find a dress for my own wedding and all of them just looked the same to me- just a flurry of polyester and tulle in white or ecru. I settled for a striking white dress with elaborate embroidery in deep purple. That one did look different and I liked  it, but Midge’s is just ordinary. Or so I thought. At first I planned to purchase the doll nude and find something extravagant for her from the amazing Private Collection outfit packs. But then I took a second look, many looks in fact and began to appreciate the single fact that this is a transformation outfit and I simply love those. And then there were all those details that at first I failed to observe and the outfit intrigued me to the point that I decided I had to have the doll in her stock outfit, and nothing else would do.


The outfit comes in several pieces. There’s the voluminous overskirt that is two layers, the upper one being the kind of fabric I don’t know the name of but it’s very soft and spotted and trimmed with lace and some silver thread. The skirt closes with a plastic snap. The lace sleeves come off as well and so the bridal look changes into honeymoon minidress. The mini has a plain bottom and a lacy top with the same silvery thread. There was also a lavender jacket with polka dots but it’s gone missing as my doll is a second-hand purchase. Perhaps one day I might get it.





Midge has all her bridal accents, there’s the long veil of course. It reaches past her knees and is gathered at the head with some embroidery to add elegance to it. It’s held by a rubber band that has long lost its elastic properties. I might replace it with a new one. There’s a bouquet as well, and those are fabric flowers of some sort – tulips or roses maybe. My Midge has lost her stock flowers, but the one she’s wearing on her hand is quite beautiful. A bride needs a wedding ring of course, and Midge is no different. Her wedding ring is molded on and painted gold on her left hand of course but her jewelry – her ring and earrings are just plain silver and quite boring.







Midge is a striking beauty and that’s for the very simple facepaint. There’s but a whisper of eyeshadow and you need to look for it to see it actually. Her mascara and eyeliner are navy blue and that softens her features and expression. Her eyes are green and purple and there’s the tiny white cross in her eyes. She shines! Her lips are juicy pink and there’s a bit of blush to her cheeks. She would’ve been perfect, but she’s a Chinese version and so her hair is kanekalon as opposed to the Malaysian saran. The color is lovely though – a very warm shade of copper.



Of course, I should mention that Midge was available as a single doll or in a Wedding Party set that included 6 dolls! Now the topic of wedding releases isn’t quite as fascinating to me as it probably should, but there are some Mattel’s brides that have caught my eye. Tracy Bride is my favorite amongst them, the doll is so beautiful it almost hurts and if I ever manage to add her to my collection, I’ll study the topic thoroughly and determine if Pink Splendor is a bride or not because I’m not so sure.
     
the source: https://www.easyweddings.co.uk/articles/bridal-barbie-iconic-doll-debuts-new-look-oscar-de-la-renta-wedding-dress/

           the source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/signature-fashion-dolls/pink-splendor-barbie-doll-16091

 the source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/designer-barbie-dolls/bob-mackie-empress-bride-barbie-doll-4247

                              the source: http://picssr.com/photos/mo1160/favorites/page166?nsid=28969221@N06

No comments:

Post a Comment