Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Party Time Barbie AA Special Edition 1994


Some dreams come true sooner than we would’ve thought. In my recent post about the Party Time Teresa, I mentioned how I’d love to own AA Barbie as well. The doll was hardly available even on ebay so I didn’t have high hopes. To my astonishment, one of my Polish readers informed me there was one just waiting to be snatched and I did just that. Christie stole Jazzie’s doll stand because I’m behind with my stands again. My doll cabinet capacity is almost exhausted, so some dolls had to step down and sit down, so to speak. The Wallmart Exclusive Super Star 1993 has a new owner, but somehow I find it hard to let go of my dolls. So far only two Barbies left my collection and I won’t even mention how many joined.  

I know that Christie is technically speaking an African American Barbie doll but I’ve decided to be consistently erratic about her name. Anyway, it’s Mattel’s fault, they’ve created this confusion by calling Barbie’s African American friend by her name. Whilst Mattel’s objective was to promote racial equality by producing two Barbies and dressing them identically, the boxes don’t quite follow the rule. The promo picture presents the Caucasian Barbie in the company of her friend, but the AA Barbie is … alone? Not to mention that theres’a certain pattern as far as the dolls’ owners are concerned. You might have noticed that the three girls are playing with the dolls that represent their own race. Now, I feel I'm treading on thin ice so I'm retreating. I’ll just clarify that I’d love to own all three of them, the Caucasian perhaps not so much although I’m the same race. I think that Teresa and the AA Barbie are far more beautiful.


I purchased Chrisite NRFB and even her box was pristine, I changed that of course. Her box contained the watch that did not age well. There was a catalogue and I was happy to see it. Teresa didn’t come with one.  The catalogue is in a form of a poster and it presents the dolls and playsets available at that time as well as some Barbie merchandise including everything from a china set to underwear, even a full scale car that Barbie’s little owner could drive. Although I don’t like the idea of taking pictures of pictures, I just had to show you the Baywatch playset and the Stack’n Play Barbie house. I adore Barbie real estate in its entirety, even the smallest houses that poses the advanced skills of Transformers. My ideal would be the Barbie Furinshed Town House. True, it’s made of cardboard and a little plastic, it’s only half furnished and comes with no accessories, but that’s the house I used to have when I was little, and for this reason it’s just the best.





 
So here’s the Barbie herself whom I’ll be calling Christie. I’m an amateur photographer and I don’t even deserve that title, which is evident by the photos I take. You just have to believe me when I say that Christie is far more beautiful in person and my pictures don’t do her justice. Her face looks fresh and youthful and the natural beauty of the headmold is further enhanced by the minimal make-up she’s wearing. Her hair is soft and silky though it’s kanekalon. I’m not so crazy about this kind of Barbie hair, it’s difficult to work with, but Christie’s is in perfect condition.



As far as Chrisite’s outfit is concerned, it’s just like Teresa’s except for the colors and I don’t know which one I like better. Both I guess look best when put next to each other. I like the peach colored accents, and I would’ve loved if Caucasian Barbie came with a different color dress. Lavender with pale yellow bows and shoes would look absolutely adorable. Somehow I’m reluctant to purchase dolls that are wearing the same dresses, but a change of color is a change enough for me.






I seem to be closing most of my posts with group photos recently. That’s because it’s an opportunity for me to take other dolls out of the cabinet and enjoy them anew. I love to analyze how face paint or hair color makes the same headmold look different. I have only a few “Christie” dolls but each of them is pretty in her own way and they are all completely dissimilar.







No comments:

Post a Comment