Friday, January 24, 2020

Barbie and the Beat Midge 1989


I’m not very patient and that’s a fact. However, I’d been waiting for my Barbie and the Beat Midge 1989 for nearly 30 years! Perhaps that’s why I was so picky and rejected so many Midge dolls during selection process. One doll had dry hair, another one was missing her outfit or some parts of it, and neiter had the guitar! No, no compromising, she had to be perfect and complete. I’d waited so long, a few more months would make no difference. Well, here she is, and I’m satisfied at last. Now this post is going to be long, so you can listen to the Barbie and the Beat band. Barbie came with a cassette!



In 1989 Mattel produced one of the most recognizable Barbie series – Barbie and the Beat. The series consisted of three fabulous dolls – Barbie, Midge and Christie. Each of them came with a guitar and an outfit that was made of several separate pieces that could give you two looks – for rehearsal and for the concert. The outfits could glow in the dark. There were also 6 additional fashions released. One more thing, in Europe the series was known as Barbie Disco.

 the source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/stundika/16471382205

the source: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/532550724664649425/?lp=true

When I published the post on my All Stars Midge I mentioned another Midge was on her way and she was so great she could dethrone the lovely Wedding Day Midge. I’m not sure if she did that but she’s amazing and I’m so happy to own her at last. I remember having seen her for the first time when I was little. My cousin owned her and since I didn’t know the doll’s name, I called her the redhead Barbie. I also have a faint recollection of my cousin owning the remaining two in her collection, but it’s possible that I saw the dolls in a catalogue or on the back of the box. Anyway, I made a great discovery at that time – there were Barbie dolls with red hair and dark skin!


My Midge’s missing only her blue pumps and her brush, but the rest of her stock is still there and in great condition. So the outfit comes with a fiercely orange top that shows off her belly and her shoulders, a miniskirt, a lacy “pepelum” and that’s what Midge wears when she goes to the band rehearsal. On stage she can wear a denim jacket and a skirt and the legwarmers (?) or whatever they are. Anyway, the fluorescent paint still works, I’ve checked that! Love those blue gems.




I cannot believe in all those years nobody took her ring or her earrings out, and even the hair piece is still there. Of course I like the guitar the best! When I was a kid I had no idea the Rockers existed so the first time I ever saw a Barbie guitar was in the Beat series. Each of the doll had a different color guitar and their colors were so juicy and fiercely neon.





Although the doll came almost complete and in a great condition, she smelled of cigarettes, yuck! A bath was inevitable and I despaired because her hair was in such a great shape – it looked like it had never been brushed and it wasn’t all that frzzy either. I needn’t have worried, a bit of shampoo and some conditioner helped recreate those lovely curls. This is some high quality kanekalon! The doll has a lovely face but somehow that face is all blurred in my memory. I remember the hair and those freckles though and the outfit and that guitar. Yes, that’s her, the doll that I never had and I never even asked my mom for her, no use. Those were strange times in my country and a doll like that was a luxury.




My Midge dolls grow in numer and for the limited time I had to take photos I olny took out another frecked Midge to compare – the All Stars Midge. Till next time!




2 comments:

  1. How great that you finally got this doll! She is really cute and I am thinking I may have to search one out. I think she has a bit more serene look on her face than All-Star Midge. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's a great addition to my collection and so long waited for. I actually love all three of them and hopefully will get Christie and Barbie as well. But Midge is the most precious one for all the childhood memories she evokes :)

      Delete