Thursday, June 25, 2020

Teen Fun Workout Skipper 1987


One of my plans for 2020 was to complete the Teen Fun Skipper series and this I managed to do this month because I was only missing Workout Skipper. Thus I finally own all of the 1987 Skipper dolls. I’m so happy!


I’d been putting the purchase off although I’d seen some second-hand Workout Skippers available and at a good price. The problem was I wanted the saran variant and with the outfit in a good shape. Unfortunately, Skipper’s body suit is made of the kind of fabric that rubs off revealing the ugly grey layer underneath. Sometimes, even getting a brand new doll doesn’t guarantee the perfect condition of the body suit so you might open the box and be disappointed by what you just bought. Mine is fine though




I like the color combination of the box. Skipper looks so lovely in her yellow outfit against the purple background, it was almost a shame to unbox her, but that wouldn’t be me. I had to take her out of her box. There was some “paper work” waiting for me, namely two catalogues, cardboard cutouts, some stickers, the instruction manual as well as an invitation to join Barbie Club. The manual came in handy because it explained what the green accessories next to the jump rope were. Those are leg weights. The set also came with a pair of dumbbells, a jump rope, a mat and a brush.






Skipper came with a lovely outfit that just shouts the 80s. There’s a pair of yellow leggings, a short top, a gold body suit, wristbands, a headband and a pair of leg warmers. There are two versions of the top, it’s yellow and white with either black or gold stripes. Skipper’s also wearing a pair of light yellow tennis shoes. I love how the outfit comes with multiple and separate pieces and the body suit has a plastic snap.



Skipper herself is just adorable. She has a head full of tight curls in a very warm shade of honey blonde. The hair is a little flat, crushed by the box, but that’s to be expected after three decades in a box. She reminds me of Olivia Newton-John in Grease.  All of the Teen Fun Skippers have the identical facial screening and only the colors differ. Workout Skipper has a strange combination of foam green and a bit of yellow in her eyes with just a touch of purple eye shadow, but it looks really well.


All in all, I find Teen Fun Skipper series very unique in terms of the facial screening, they’re easy to identify. As far as, I know all the 1987 Skipper dolls, including the Teen Sweetheart Skipper, come with saran or kanekalon hair. I can’t be sure if that’s true for the Cheerleader because I’ve been misled by online pictures many times already, but I’m certain as far as the other three are concerned. It was especially hard to get the saran variant of the Teen Sweetheart. Furthermore, all four share the same problem – spotty vinyl of their legs. That’s very common for the early Skippers and mine are an example of that phenomenon, but that’s something I knew at the time of purchase, so I won’t despair. So here’s all of the Skippers produced in 1987, don’t they look adorable?





5 comments:

  1. All of the Skippers in this series are cute but the workout one with the curls is really adorable. I may need to hunt one down. Nice collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen her with those curls tamed a bit and straightened and she looked very cute too, but I'll definitely leave her like that. When I like a doll, I don't really change anything about her. You get her if you can, you'll be very happy with her I'm sure. Just keep in mind that she may have spots on her legs.

      Delete
  2. OMG, the hair is hilarious! Really cute dolls:@)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the hair is ridiculous and impossible but cute at the same time:) They look nice together.

      Delete
  3. They're adorable! I have the Party Skipper and thought her legs were spotty due to the dots on her tights

    ReplyDelete