Tuesday, December 8, 2020

Happy Holidays Barbie 1994

 Before I describe today’s doll, I’d like to tell you a story of a myth that just refuses to die. Now, due to covid, my daughter has online classes I sometimes have no choice but to listen to. In my predominantly Christian country, kids have a subject at school called Ethics and Religious Education. My daughter’s teacher is a kind-hearted, universally loved nun, whose patience is simply inexhaustible. Now, since it’s December, the nun has seen it fit to talk about Santa. The real Santa. The kids are 7 years old and they all believe Santa exists and he’s coming soon. My girl is no different and she really counts on Santa to come and deliver the present she had requested for in a letter she had written to him. I was a bit apprehensive so I decided to listen closely and intervene if need be.


The Good Sister started off by saying that Santa was born a long, long time ago and he was a bishop, which the kids accepted because why not. The bishop-Santa carried a crosier and he wore a mitre. The weird stick was understandable, Santa is an old fellow after all. The hat, although very impressive, seemed a bit unpractical when you’re dashing through the snow, your ears might get cold and you may lose the hat, but that must be the magic, right? Then the nun said Santa had a kind heart, he was sympathetic to the poor and he was generous – so far so good. Then she concluded her story by saying the bishop-Santa died and the guy in a red getup is an impostor!


Now, there are rules during online classes, just like in normal school – mics off / mouths closed unless the teacher says otherwise. The kids all know the rules and they obey them, but this time it was different. They all turned on their mics at the same time and there was noise and chaos but amidst the protests you could hear: WHAAAT? Or No way! You must have got it wrong!! Or But he’s coming at Christmas, right? Or I’ve been eating all my vegetables because mom said Santa wouldn’t come if I didn’t, and now what, all this for nothing? Or You’re getting yourself in trouble, you won’t get a present from Santa!


I’m sure that the nun’s intentions were good but the class went terribly wrong and no wonder. Sister tried to regain control over the violently protesting kids but all she could was switching the mics off over and over again and then she assigned the kids the most ridiculous homework ever – write a letter to Santa. “Why would I do that if he’s long dead!” was one of the last comments I heard. In the end, nobody believed the poor nun and I’m sure the parents had a lot of explaining to do after the class. As for my girl, she just asked me if I posted the letter to Santa already. When I confirmed I had, she looked relieved as if this sorted the entire bishop-Santa-long-dead problem because, after all, mom is far too busy to go sending letters to someone who’s already dead, right?


As for the doll, there were three variants of Happy Holidays 1994. There was of course the Caucasian blonde and AA Christie but there was a third one that now is pretty rare – she was a brunette superstar available only at Barbie convention in Florida in 1994. There were only 540 copies produced and they appear to command a hefty price on online auctions. There have also been some fraud attempts – some regular brunette Barbie would be redressed in the golden dress and strapped to the box. This to me seems pretty silly because such an act would be quite easy to verify if not by the doll’s face paint then certainly by the lack of the convention sticker on the box and the absence of the wreath that Barbie should be holding. And then there's the picture of the blonde Barbie on the back of the box.

 
The source: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/440086194812157255/

 
The source: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1994-happy-holidays-barbie-brunette-137701321

The brunette is of course, a stunner, but I’m happy to have my blonde at long last. She came used, she had lost her doll stand, her brush and the shoes, but she’s in a very decent condition for the minimal price I had paid for her. She does have two tiny spots on her forehead and it was mentioned in an honest description of the doll, but that’s something that an anti-acne cream and a bit of sun will solve once the conditions are right. I’m not averse to second-hand dolls but I had an unpleasant situation purchasing my first HH 1994. There was a lovely doll with predominantly saran hair that I once spotted on an online auction. The price was a bit higher than I was willing to pay, but the doll looked marvelous. There was only one picture of her though and the description revealed minimum information. I bought her only to discover that her dress was destroyed. The golden layer at the back of the dress was completely rubbed off revealing an ugly, mustard-colored fabric underneath. I returned the doll and got refunded with no problems whatsoever, but then a week later the lady put out the same doll, for the same amount for sale again. The description didn’t mention the dress problem ...


The dress, if it’s in good condition, is absolutely stunning. It’s trimmed with thick white faux fur and adorned with red beads, shiny leaves and prismatic elements. It’s perhaps a bit much here and there, but that’s the way Happy Holidays Barbies are. The dress is a two-piece. The “embroidered” part of her lower dress is separate, but it’s a bit flimsy. The back of the underskirt is just see-though tulle but the front makes up for it. It’s shiny and adds up to the general look of the dress. Her jewelry is of course, well-coordinated, the beaded earrings and the headpiece match the dress perfectly. Barbie’s complexion is very pale, almost pink and she’s wearing minimal make-up, but her eyes are like two giant emeralds and they focus your attention. The dolls may vary in terms of the amount of saran in their hair which is mixed with kanekalon. The first Happy Holiday 1994 I purchased and returned had a bit more saran than kanekalon, this one is predominantly kanekalon and there are some dolls that have only kanekalon rooted. 


Happy Holidays Barbie 1994 joined my collection a few months ago, but a doll like that needs a special background. Full sun and hot weather don’t suit her so she had to wait patiently for her turn and the right setting. Our main Christmas Tree isn’t set up yet, but my girls have their own, little, plastic trees that they just trimmed so it’ll do for now. She’ll definitely make another appearance pretty soon. My collection of Happy Holiday Barbies is growing slowly but surely, I’m still missing three that I need in my life, the gorgeous 1988 one amongs them and my 1989 isn’t complete in terms of her dress, but it’s a process and it takes time. Still, I’m simply thrilled with my Golden Queen. What do you think about her?




2 comments:

  1. That's too bad about what the nun did. I got an angry phone call once from a mother, when my eldest daughter told her child that Santa wasn't real. My daughter came to that conclusion and we confirmed it when she asked, but I didn't know she was going to be sharing her knowledge with her classmates.

    Your Happy Holidays 1994 is gorgeous. The face paint reminds me of a Christmas Barbie that I own. Now that you've reminded me of it, I should take some pictures of her and the other Christmas Barbies that I own, for my next My Collection post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I could expect that from a child, but the nun could have been quiet on the topic of Santa dying :) To me there was a hundred ways to tell the kids about the religious background of Santa and not shattering the happy myth.
      I love HH 94, she's so glamorous. Do show your Christmas Barbies! I'm so curious which ones you've got :)

      Delete