Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Dolls of the World Russian Barbie 1995


There’s been a lot going on in my DOTW collection. Since the beginning of the year I’ve managed to double their number as well as find the two missing outfits for them. I’ve already shown you my Italian Barbie and the two Mexican girls and my Irish doll is finally complete, so now it’s time for my Russian Barbie 1995 to make her appearance. Now, unlike the rest of my Dolls of the World, my Russian girl  was a spontaneous purchase. The seller put out the Mexican Barbie 1988/89 for sale but a couple of auctions below the Russian girl was dressed in her stock outfit. As the seller was reluctant to switch the outfits I was left with a choice of buying both or none. I looked the Russian Barbie up and I was satisfied with what I saw. She was pretty and if I had had any doubts, once she arrived they all disappeared and I made up my mind to somehow get her stock outfit as well.


Mattel has released several Russian Barbie dolls and the first one appeared in 1989 (produced in 1988) and that was the doll I had planned to purchase. I think I will eventually. That doll uses the Superstar face sculpt and has kanekalon hair. Her outfit is amazing, made of magenta velvet with black accents and a fur hat. Some releases may vary in terms of their jewelry. Some are wearing the early 80s type earrings and rings, the ones with rhinestones. Others got the newer design popular in the 90s which isn’t my favorite. The Second Edition Russian Barbie was produced in 1995 and that’s the one I’m showing you today. She still has the lovely Superstar headmold, 90 degrees bent arms and the imperial outfit. I really like them both.

Russian Barbie 1988
The source: https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUSSIAN-BARBIE-1988-SPECIAL-EDITION-DOLLS-OF-THE-WORLD-1916-NIB-NRFB-NEW-/190763293094

Russian Barbie 1995
 
Then there are two contemporary releases and they’re based on the Mackie headmold. The first one is the gorgeous Princess of Imperial Russia which belongs to the Dolls of the World: the Princess Collection. She was given some amazing facepaint, just look at this cat eye and the intriguing smile – she’s not to be trifled with! She’s wearing a very elaborate, traditional dress and a tunic. 2009 brought us a completely different Russian doll. She’s a very modern, high fashion girl. Linda Kyaw gave her a fitting navy blue coat, stylish boots and an ushanka. And her box is just exquisite. The doll is beautifully displayed against the graphic that shows a dimly lit street of a Russian city, you can see the architecture typical of that country there. Amazing scenery and a gorgeous doll. I just devoured the pictures with my eyes.

Princess of Imperiall Russia 2004
 The source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/princess-of-imperial-russia-barbie-doll-g5861

Russia Barbie 2009
The source: https://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Dolls-World-Russia-Doll/dp/B002IB2A8Y
 
As far as my Russian girl goes, I love her beautiful, soft saran braid. One unruly strand got out of control and I had to braid the beautiful, honey-colored hair anew –it’s really silky and long too. It’s surprising to see such gorgeous hair at the time when brittle kanekalon dominated Barbie world. After all, Dolls of the World is truly a spectacular series and Mattel spared no effort to make the dolls really special. The doll’s eyes are typical of the period, but the color combination is quite unique. Her eyes are of course blue, but the eye shadows are vibrant lime green and salmon/peach. Such colors normally don’t go well together, but somehow this time they do. Just like any next Barbie of the time, her lips are full. That’s not my favorite variation, I prefer the thin and more subtle smile of the 80s, but the lipstick looks very nice against her pale complexion. The doll is a beauty, no question about that.





As I’ve mentioned before, my Russian Barbie arrived dressed in the Mexican’s outfit that quickly returned to its rightful owner. I decided to purchase the stock outfit which I liked a lot. It also tells her apart from any other doll. DOTW Barbies need their original outfits because apart from the skin tone and the hair, it’s the outfit that reveals the doll’s origin. When dressed in some contemporary fashions, the Russian would look very much like the Polish Barbie, but give her the kokoshnik (traditional headwear) and you know who she really is. Red and white dominate her dress that consists of a blouse with a skirt (a one-piece) and a separate tunic. The skirt seems to be very simple in terms of its design but if you take a closer look there’s an elaborate pattern punched on it. The front of the skirt however, is quite spectacular. The applique is intricate. There’s a little gold here and there, but within reason. The outfit is imperialistic but not flamboyant or ostentatious. Her kokoshnik is quite modest as well. While this traditional Russian headwear can be incredibly rich and ornate, hers is of small proportions and only three golden flowers with beaded centers decorate it. The piece covering the doll’s forehead is however beautiful and makes her look so regal.





The Russian outfit is in great condition and it looks like a completely new doll was stripped and both sold separately. These practices are not uncommon, and normally I dislike them greatly. In this one instance however, I have to say, with utter honesty that I’m glad it happened. At least the outfit is worn by a Russian doll in the end, like it should. The set also included a hairbrush and a pair of boots. I remember these from my childhood when Barbie was a luxury product in my country. That was the time when the companies producing clones of various shapes and sizes boomed. Such clones were usually sold at department stores and newsstands and you could easily tell it’s a copy. These dolls were simply ugly. They had sparse yellow hair and were made of thin, almost transparent plastic you could dent easily. And they would wear these boots, or should I say an imitation of them. My Russian’s boots are made of soft rubber. They’re elastic so it’s possible to put them on her legs. The copies were made of plastic and wouldn’t always go all the way or they’d be too large. It so happens that My Russian Barbie arrived wearing such clone boots. I still have them and out of some strange sentiment for the times long gone I haven’t thrown them away yet despite them being so filthy.



My Russian doll, all complete and beautiful was about to return to her shelf, but then I had a sudden inspiration and I took all of my DOTW for a group photo. They’re a lovely bunch, aren’t they.




No comments:

Post a Comment