Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Dolls of the World Irish Barbie 1995 II



You’ve met my Redhead before. She was the star of the first post of 2019 but she was incomplete back then. When I got her, she was wearing the fantastic blue Twice as Nice Reversible Fashion which my Magic Moves snatched from her upon the doll’s arrival and I made my mind to get her stock outfit at the earliest possible. The sight of the doll in her green dress on one of the blogs I frequently read inspired me to search for it immediately. I was just crazy about all the lace and the broach. It was easy to find the outfit on ebay, several sellers were offering it. It was also when I discovered some more contemporary releases of Irish Barbie dolls, and then some more, and still some more. There were so many Irish Barbies out there! Gorgeous dolls! Dolls one needs to write about! So I’m writing about them but since I don’t own them the dates may not be 100% accurate.


The first Irish Barbie doll was released in 1984 (produced in 1983) and I know her so well. She’s one of my top favorites. She has the lovely Steffie face, quite pale this time, and a head full of tight brown curls. She’s been given a pair of striking green eyes and peach lips and this image appeals to me strongly, so strongly that I hope one day the doll will stand in my cabinet. In her somewhat conservative outfit, the doll looks romantic and melancholy. Then Mattel had us wait over 10 years for the Second Edition Irish Barbie Doll 1995. That’s my doll – very pale, with red lips and a flurry of copper kanekalon. I’ve described her here already, so today I’ll just talk about the newly acquired outfit but about that a little later.

Irish Barbie 1984

Irish Barbie 1995
the source of the 2 above pictures: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop


These two lovely dolls are just the beginning, the prelude to the Irish expansion that will reach the furthest ends of the Dolls of the World series. Ireland will make their mark in the Princess Collection and their representative will go Riverdancing at the Festivals of the World and that will still not be enough. Mattel will go on a mission exploring the ancient land of myths full of magic and sorrowful lovers. Ladies and Gentlemen fasten your seatbelts, here comes the Princess of Ireland from Dolls of the World: the Princess Collection 2001. Isn’t she just magnificent? Mackie may not be my favorite headmold, but I do appreciate its beauty and I love to admire it in other bloggers’ collections. I myself am partial to Krystle from Dynasty and would looooove to own her. But I digress! The velvet cape and the elaborate pattern on the Princess’ dress are spectacular as her face is captivating.

The Princess of Ireland - DOTW: Princess Collection 2001
the source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop


2004 brings us the Legends of Ireland Collection under the reign of Her Highness the Faerie Queen and in two versions – the redhead and the Platinum Label brunette. Both dolls appear to be elves attired in flowy green dresses. They’re so ethereal. The same year the Bard will sing her melancholy tune accompanied by the soft sounds of her harp. And who is she singing about? The sorrowful Iseult of course – Spellbound Lover 2005.  In 2006 Mattel’s designers apparently needed a short break and new inspiration so there would be no new releases in the Legends of Ireland Collection, but they would entertain us with the passionate Irish Dance Barbie belonging to the Dolls of the World: Festivals of the World.

Faerie Queen Platinum Label 2004

Faerie Queen 2004

The Bard Barbie 2004

Spellbound Lover 2005

The Irish Dance DOTW: Festivals of the World 2006
the source of the 5 above pictures: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop


In 2007 the Legends of Ireland Collection continues and it brings us another ill-fated lover, the Deirdre of Ulster who withered of grief for the untimely and unmerited death of her beloved. The Irish heroine is of course a striking beauty, like she should be. The final release of the series is a goddess nonetheless.  The 2008 Aine – the Irish goddess of love and fertility is such an unearthly beauty that many have lost their lives in pursuit of her and the doll is a worthy representation of her image. The audience needs several years to comprehend all this splendor and the glory before the Ireland Barbie 2011 appears, graceful as a clover leaf.


Deirdre of Ulster 2007

Aine 2008
DOTW Ireland Barbie 2011

the source of the 3 aboce pictures: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop


And now finally nothing remains for me but to move to what was supposed to be the main point of this post – my Irish Barbie Second Edition, or rather her dress. She finally wears her proper outfit, green like all the other Irish Barbie releases. The cut is very girly and if you swapped the dominant green with light pastels and cotton floss, she could cosplay for a Japanese Sweet Lolita ready to hit Shibuya and Harajuku districts.  Mattel put lace wherever they could to make the dress light and graceful. It trims the sleeves and the collar. There’s cascades of lace up front and some large chunks on the sides. Even her bonnet is made of lace! And the broach is my favorite part of the attire. It’s made of plastic but it imitates ancient gold very well. The dress may seem to be simple but it’s incredibly detailed and well made. Along with the dress and the bonnet there came her brush and shoes which were still in their plastic baggie, never opened. So my Irish Barbie quickly put her heels on and strode off to the nearby forest in search of her love like a legendary heroine but hopefully with a happier ending.









No comments:

Post a Comment