Monday, August 19, 2019

Dolls of the World Norwegian Barbie 1995


As it turns out, there’s been no superstar Barbie on my blog since May, an error that needs immediate correction. So I ran to fetch one that has been long overdue, and here she is, my Norwegian Barbie 1995.


Norwegian Barbie is much more beautiful in person, and no picture does her justice, and I’ve failed to capture all those minute details that completely change the overall look of the doll. For one thing, her lipstick has a pearly hue and her eye makeup is much more detailed that I previously thought. Smokey pink and purple eyeshadows mingle beautifully and I only noticed that upon a closer scrutiny once the doll arrived. I also didn’t pay enouch attention to Barbie’s pale complexion and her glorious saran hair that is styled with simplicity in two twirly braids while the rest is let loose and falls gently below her waist. I don't know how all this somehow escaped me at first and I didn't rush to buy her sooner, but now that she belongs to my collection, I'm happy with my new arrival.




Now Barbie’s outfit is interesting because you probably know that two versions of the blue dress can be found - with purple or red flowers. The dress itself can also come in two shades of blue or purple-blue. I was sure there was nothing interesting behind those variations and once the Chinese ran out of their fabric stock, they simply used another one pattern and that’s that. It turns out I was wrong. There were actually two editions of Norwegian Barbie – mine is the first one produced in 1995 only to be reintroduced a year later but in a slightly different dress.


Norwegian Barbie seems to be a prelude to today’s tendencies in Barbie’s fashion – a deception that manifests in one-piece outfits that while in box give an impression of being separate. So, unfortunately, the waistcoat, the shirt and the skirt are in fact, one thing. It’s lazy and lame and I would expect a little better in collector’s edition, not to mention that it’s slightly discouraging in play line too. One thing I need to admit – Mattel used good quality fabric when they could’ve  practiced economy in that area too. They also put much effort in hiding the fact that the waistcoat and the skirt aren’t separate, so it’s overal not so noticeable. The outfit is pretty detailed too – the satchel or purse is a nice extra touch that makes the outfit a tad more interesting.

 

The accessories to the outfit include a headpece that has been attached to Barbie’s head in a truly barbaric manner – with plastic tabs shot into her head! Talk about ouch! Barbie’s shoes are the classic 90s pumps wich I like a lot and they never make me bored. Her jewellery is very plain save the ‘silver’ locket that attracts attention, just like the Irish Barbie’s camea broach, not to mention the Moroccan Barbie and all that gold that she drips in! I’ve purchased Norwegian Barbie in used condition, but she’s perfect and she even came with a stand which is something I always appreciate. Every so often I need to make a choice whether to buy a doll or restock doll stands, so I’m always happy when a doll arrives already with a stand.



As I can never buy a single DOTW, there are two more to come very soon




No comments:

Post a Comment