Friday, August 30, 2019

Peaches'n Cream Barbie Taiwan II


It’s been a year since Magic Moves and Peaches’n Cream (both made in Taiwan) joined my collection. Upon their arrival they presented a state of criminal neglect and it seemed as if dust and dirt had been their faithful companions for these past two decades. Once they were Mattel’s true stars and I made every effort to restore their glory long gone, or at least some part of it. When their former beauty re-emerged I became very fond of them but there was still something missing. The charm of the 80s manifested itself in the dolls’ outfits and these were sadly not there. So I made a decision: I’d get their original gowns or I’d leave them as they were but I’d purchase their Philippine sisters. It took me just a couple of months to find my Magic Moves, but the Philippine Peaches’n Cream is rarely available and one dressed in her beautiful peach dress usually commands an exorbitant price that is usually not reflected by the doll’s condition. As for the dress alone, I’d rejected so many auctions because they were usually damaged. The doll appeared quite unexpectedly and so well within my reach – in my country. She was in a great condition, just a bit dusty, but she wore her dress almost without blemish. Her arms were wrapped with one of the two shawls. But that’s not all – Barbie’s jewelry was complete and I mean complete, even the necklace. The only thing that was missing was her shoes and her hair was tied with a ribbon that would do nicely for her red/orange belt. But I didn’t jump at the opportunity, because her face revealed a Taiwan version, a very beautiful one, but Taiwan nonetheless and I avoid doubles. I yielded two days later and I’m excused because she’s no ordinary doll, right? So here she is, my second Peaches’n Cream 1984 made in Taiwan.


What a nice surprise it was when it turned out that my two Taiwan Peaches aren’t identical after all. But this is something that could be expected. Back in the old days, behind every facepaint there was a human being, not a machine. The paint was applied by hand with a use of a set of stencils so the dolls may vary and in this case, they do. The second Peaches’ eyelashes are more pronounced but her eyeliner is thinner, more subtle. The color palette is also slightly different – the colors of the second Peaches are warmer, her eyeshadow is more violet than blue. The lipstick is the same but there’s more blush to her cheeks too. As to the dolls’ hair, the color is almost identical, but the forehead line is different. Now the hair had never been brushed and the original curls were still there but they were tangled. The hair had to be washed, because it was dirty and though I was reluctant to intervene here, it could not be avoided. However gently I treated the once lovely curls, I destroyed them. After the usual hair treatments I curled the hair anew. They’re not perfect, but I’ll be working on them some time soon.






Barbie’s hair held a surprise for me, or several. For one thing, the reddish-orange ribbon turned out to be her belt adorned with the lovely flower. I’m very happy because the belt is usually missing with the second-hand dolls. The other surprise was her hairpins – there were two of them and Barbie’s previous owner must have put them in her hair before shipping her because the pictures didn’t show them. The shoes were a replacement but they match the dress very nicely. As to the jewelry, as I mentioned it was complete – the ring and earrings reflect the light in a very lovely manner, but it’s the necklace that’s my favorite part of the whole set. It looks so fragile and it’s held just by two tiny hooks, I’m astounded it hadn’t been lost! In general, the doll looks just as if she was just taken out of her box, played with for a little while and then forgotten.  



I was a little afraid if the actual condition of the dress would be acceptable because there were no close-up pictures attached, but my fears turned out to be groundless. The dress is almost without a blemish and this is rarely to be seen because the gown is made of fabric so fragile and prone to damage that it seems almost impossible for it to have survived all those years. There are no tears, no holes in the many layers and the torso part is beautifully opalescent. The dress closes with metal snaps and there are some additional ones discretely placed on the gown to attach the shawls. It looks very romantic.






And here are both of my Peaches, I’m so happy to own them and I wouldn’t like to part with any of them. I like the fact that their dresses are different and I styled their hair differently, this way they’re easily told apart. The second Peaches will keep her dress and accessories unchanged, but the first one is a gracious model and there are already two contemporary fashon packs waiting for her to present them. I feel like I can have a cake and eat a cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment