Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Dolls of the World Thai Barbie 1997


In my previous post I mentioned that I’d continue with DotW and today’s doll belongs to this amazing series. She’s Thai Barbie 1997. She joined my collection just a day before I published my anniversary post so she’s in the pictures and she’s waited quite a while for her presentation. At last here she is. Now purchasing her wasn’t easy contrary to her wide availability and low price. To keep a long story short it took three auctions before she was mine and the first one was very unfortunate. She was listed at a low price and I was the only bidder, but before I could pay for her, her owner sent me an email apologizing that he forgot he’d sold her already and he'd only listed her accidentally and such. I hate such practices! When you put out a hardly popular doll you may expect that the starting price may be the final one. Another seller turned out to be more honest so without a further ado, Thai Barbie.


Before I publish any post I try to make a thorough research, however I haven’t found any information whether there’s any other edition of Thai Barbie. It appears she’s the only one. It seems Mattel paid Thailand and Poland equally little attention – unless I’ve missed something. I discovered Thai Barbie quite by accident when I was flipping photos of the ever elusive Korean Barbie doll. I thought her outfit overall great, but the doll’s face was just captivating. The Oriental facemold is always beautiful, but the facepaint that Mattel applied to it – so simple and modest enchanced the natural beauty of the headmold’s features. The doll’s eyes are narrow, just like they should be and the lovely hazel gaze needs nothing more than the faint smokey eyeshadow. Yet Barbie’s facepaint is by no means deficient in color or too placid, her lips are vivid red. Her hair is quite unique – cut short and just held in a ponytail and well … stiff like hell for the product that the company applied.




I’ve made some effort to study the outfit, but the topic exhausted me completely. Dance is crucial in Thai culture and it requires a special outfit to perform it. To further complicate the matter, each piece has its own name and meaning in the ritual. So I won’t bother copying all the Wikipedia content on this subject and I’ll be using simple vocabulary as befits an ignorant person. So Barbie’s wearing a skirt, long, fitting and elaborately patterned. The green cape that covers her shoulders is tucked in the skirt in the front and it hangs low at the back. It holds its shape beautifully. But apart from being so rich and regal, Barbie’s outfit holds some surprise. Underneath the cape, there’s a simple, orange top made of lurex, so when you strip her of her headpiece and cape, she can be stylish and elegant in a more contemporary and day to day way.






The most distinct part of Barbie’s entire outfit will be her headpiece in a form of a „golden” temple that has been secured to her head with three tabs shot right through her skull. How cruel that is! I cut them off to remove the headpiece but they’re still there and in order to get rid of them I’d have to take her head off which I’m reluctant to do. Anyway, her jewellery is boring to death! Mattel gave her some generic earrings and a matching ring plus some Lame bracelets made of some scraps of the material to minimize waste. Thai Barbie has no shoes and Mattel informs us on the box that traditional Thai dancers perform barefoot. Be that as it may it wouldn’t hurt to give her some shoes. Since I like to keep my dolls in their original condition and customizing fascinates me not, she remains the only doll in my collection without shoes. But she’s got her stand which she gave to  another doll, and I also took off her headpiece because it makes her one extra inch taller and she doesn’t fit in the space on the DOTW shelf. That’s ok, because she’s still very pretty.




So far I’ve managed to collect 4 Oriental dolls, and here they are: Japanese Barbie, Malaysian Barbie, Thai Barbie and Nia.





No comments:

Post a Comment