Thursday, September 19, 2019

Dolls of the World Greek Barbie 1985


My greatest doll passion are Superstars, so it comes as no surprise that Barbie’s most popular face should dominate even my assortment of the Dolls of the World. Even though DOTW is so deliciously versatile and offers you a great choice of dolls, Superstars rule on the international shelf of my doll cabinet. By the way, my grail doll – the first Parisian Steffie is still not there, but I’m ecstatic with my new arrival, the Greek Barbie 1985. I purchased her in a more or less NRFB condition … the doll was still attached to the inner cardboard but the box itself hardly held its shape. The cellophane was cracked and the lower lid was torn off. Barbie’s shoes and her doll stand escaped through the many openings in the box and the only evidence of them ever being there is the list of contents on the box. Though the box is badly damaged, I’m keeping it. I can never find it in myself to dispose of them. Luckily I have the necessary storage space for them.


Greek Barbie needed a bath and badly. She was dirty, her hair was sticky and she smelled of stale cigarettes. So she went straight to doll spa and after the necessary treatments she looked and smelled much better but I still put some freshly ground coffee in the doll cabinet just in case. It takes away the unwanted smell while the scent of coffee lingers a little. It was a bit stressful to wash Barbie’s clothes, all that red, white and black was not a good washing mixture. No damages here though. Uff!


Greek Barbie is just as pretty as the Philippine dolls can be and she couldn’t be more different from all the other Superstar Barbies in the world, or in my cabinet. Her uniqueness is her chocolate-brown hair and the same color eyes. My Barbie has a factory defect, her brows aren’t evenly painted and she’s slightly cross-eyed, but that only adds to her cuteness. Though I don’t change my DOTW outfits, she’s going to be one of my regular models presenting contemporary Barbie outfits. I like her immensely!





I admit I’m completely ignorant in the matter of traditional Greek outfits, but I don’t think my Barbie’s attire is very flattering. It comes with a black jacket with some yellow or gold pattern and there’s some white fabric sticking out of the sleeves, no doubt that detail is of paramount importance. Underneath the jacket Barbie’s wearing a halter-neck dress, very surprising. Again, this outfit allows a second, more regular kind of look.





As I’ve already mentioned, there are no shoes and what a pity because those were the kind of ballerina Barbie shoes that I haven’t got yet. But then again, if the doll were complete, I wouldn’t be able to afford her. So I got her a pair of golden heels with a lovely skull detail to them. My random shoes supply is running short, there was nothing that would suit my Barbie better but I’ll find some suitable alternative. Barbie’s jewelry is very modest – just a ring, but it’s quite intricate. It’s large and there’s some kind of pattern carved in it. My first Mexican Barbie has a ring just like that but in blue.



And here’s all my DOTW Superstar Barbies. I like them all but the new arrival is my favorite. I’m planning to do some fashion photoshoot pretty soon and she’s a kind of doll that will look great whatever you put on her.




2 comments:

  1. Greczynka jest prześliczna. Nie wiem jak to jest z jej strojem, bo Mattel czasem trzyma się realiów, ale częściej nie (patrz Norweżka), to wygląda interesująco.
    Czy możesz włączyć tłumacza, bo mój angielski nie jest na tyle dobry. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja też nie wiem jak to jest z tymi strojami, ale Greczynkę to bym i gołą kupiła, bo to piękna lalka.
      Tłumacza nie włączyłam, bo prowadzę drugi blog - identyczny tyle że po polsku:)
      https://coffeeanddollspl.blogspot.com/

      Delete