Tuesday, October 8, 2019

Cool Crimp Skipper 1993


It’s a cliche that the new comes as the old departs, but it applies to Skipper like nothing else. In her career at Mattel’s, Skipper has changed multiple times. My favorite version of Barbie’s little sister will always be the 1987 one and the Cool Crimp happens to be the last large series that gathers all four friends, or should I say three? Does the AA Skipper hang out with the Caucasian one? Not so sure, anyway, you know what I mean. All three girls in the series got the big-eyed headmold wich would be replaced by the Pizza Party Skipper mold in 1994. Sure there would still be some isolated cases of anime eyed Skippers in 1994 like the Tropical Splash Skipper, but it was clear that Skipper would change for good.


So the year 1994 brings us a Skipper entirely new. She’s noticeably older, more mature, more realistic looking, preferred by many, but not by me. My warm feelings for my childhood Skipper requires a certain degree of antagonism towards all the Skipper / Courtneys with MATTEL INC 1993 stamped on their nape, but despite all my loyalty to the 1987 mold, I cannot resist the charm of the new headmold especially in the case of Phone Fun Courtney that I mean to purchase as soon as I find the doll that doesn’t cost a small fortune.


Now back to the good old stuff! Cool Crimp Courtney arrived first as one of my top favorites, or should I say, a great number of my top favorites. It wasn’t enough, I wanted Skipper as well and I purchased her on ebay from a certain lady who described her hair as “wild”, but the doll was still clad in her stock outfit, her shoes and jewelry still in place as well. The hair remained wild, I have no intention of repeating my mistake I made with Courtney when I almost ruined her hair by boil washing. Cool Crimp dolls’ hair has some special qualities that allow you to crimp it, straighten it, crimp it again and straighten it again and repeat the process over and over again until the doll is bald. But the hair may not react well to boil washing.




Not only Skipper’s hair is wild, but so is her outfit. There are so many conflicting patterns that it’s unimaginable how Mattel put them all together and actually made it work! But it does! It’s lucky that I had no idea of this doll’s existence when I was a little girl. I would torment my mom with constant pleas. Skipper also comes with dummy jewelry and some pretty cool sneakers. There were also 4 crimpers and a bottle, but they’re gone now. You can see them in the below commercial.







Mattel decided to discontinue the big-eyed mold and they gave us a really great farewell series. I truly want them all and the AA doll is my absolute number one AA Skipper of all time. She’s pretty expensive though and it’s unlikely I should get her. Kevin’s quite interesting too and I mean to get one. It may not be Cool Crimp Kevin though. I’d be glad to have any Kevin for that matter, the boy is pretty rare. So far, I’ve been more than happy with my two girls. They’re so lovely.











No comments:

Post a Comment