Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Dolls of the World Irish Barbie 1995



I’d been silent for some time, but that’s because I took a long holiday and no dolls accompanied me. But now I’m back and the doll that I’m going to show you today is a fierce redhead! The Irish Barbie 1995 was an unexpected purchase, I just spotted her once when I was looking for a different doll. The Redhead skipped my wishlist and headed straight for my doll cabinet. I just have a soft spot for redheaded superstar Barbie dolls, so I joined the battle over her and won her to my great astonishment, because I usually lose auctions when there are more participants than just me. That was several months ago and the Irish Barbie had been waiting for her stock outfit that I wanted to purchase before her presentation, but she’s so pretty that she can’t wait any longer. I’m still planning to get it somehow, somewhere, but in the meantime, here’s my Fierce Redhead!


Her previous owner described her as Scottish Barbie 1990, but her eyes and the straight arms didn’t fit and I identified her as the Irish Barbie 1995 on the basis of her pictures. The doll is stunning despite her minor imperfections, one of them being her hair that is of course kanekalon, and probably one of the worst examples I’ve ever touched! It’s very dry, frizzy and almost impossible to style but the color is simply lovely, so warm and pleasant. The other flaw is her sticky legs. She’d been dressed in a great fashion pack – Twice as Nice Reversible Fashion from 1983 or 1984 and her previous owner added a pair of tights so at first I didn’t notice the stickiness, but baby wipes solved the problem and now she’s fine. By the way, Locket Surpirse Ken is pretty good too so the wipes really work long term.



She may not be flawless, but I’m very happy with her because her beautiful face makes up for her imperfections. She’s a mid-90s doll and her eyes bear all the characteristics of that period, they’re large and complicated, with a multitude of upper and lower lashes. Her eyes are emerald green and the navy blue eyeliner and mascara help bring the color out. It’s easy to identify the doll for the cross reflex in her eyes. Her lips are deep red and gorgeous. I think she’s an excellent doll. I’m also very happy she came with her stock jewelry – simple but interesting. The earrings and the ring are two colors in fact – silver on the outside and gold on the inside. At first I thought they’re simply faded, but the result seems very much deliberate.





As I’ve already mentioned, the Fierce Redhead came with a replacement outfit and that was stolen by my Magic Moves Barbie, so the Irish is now waiting for her stock outfit that you can see in the promo picture below and in the meantime, she’s been given several contemporary fashion options. The first one is the purple dress that had been already worn by some other dolls, my Mermaid Midge amongst them. Dark colors sure become her.




FND47/ FTK10 was released early in 2018 or late in 2017 and it’s a pretty, short and shiny dress. The gold upper part is cut asymmetrically with a nice detail to the right shoulder. The lower part is two layers with pale pink tulle over the golden fabric and in the middle there’s a pink ribbon to add color to the dress. The set comes with a golden purse and a bracelet, but sadly, no shoes. The ones Barbie’s wearing in the pictures come from my own stock.




DMF51 from 2016 is one of my most favorite contemporary dresses. I purchased it used but in a great condition. I love the color of the dress, it’s peachy pink and has been heavily sprinkled with silver glitter. The heart shape cut and the mermaid tail bottom make it elegant and light at the same time. The dress is of course plain at the back, it’s one of those unfortunate one-sided dresses, oh well… The set originally came with a silver clutch and a pair of heels (!), those are missing now but I added a necklace and the peachy pumps belong to another Barbie.




So far I’ve collected three redheaded superstar Barbies, and of course I couldn’t resist a group photo. Below you can see the Irish Barbie 1995 accompanied by Purple Passion Barbie 1995 and Paint’n Dazzle Barbie 1993. I hope to add some more dolls to this lovely trio pretty soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment