Monday, April 6, 2020

Basketball Kevin 1992


There’s too few male dolls in my female-dominated collection, so I decided to change that and I’ve recently purchased Kevin as a little step in my “get those boy dolls already” campaign. I’d never seen Kevin in person so I was awaiting him impatiently wondering if he’d ever arrive, given the state of things, the borders being closed and the deadly and relentless virus still rampaging. I guess, worrying about dolls now seems stupid, to put it bluntly, but it’s been so crazy and stressful that for once you want to occupy your thoughts with something silly and unimportant. You want to worry about things of little significance when going for groceries is a potentially life-threatening situation. He did come and ahead of time too. 


Kevin never made a brilliant career at Mattel’s, similarly to Jazzie, who however got a few more releases in the short time span that she was in production. Kevin would mostly appear in larger Skipper series and he would provide some variety there. There was only one Kevin doll to appear on his own without female counterparts and that was Kevin Cool Boyfriend of Skipper. Mattel also released 3 additional fashion packs just for Kevin as he had a unique body mold. He was much shorter and skinnier than Ken, so he couldn’t wear his clothes. Those outfits were produced in 1992 however I doubt they reflected even the boldest fashion trends of the period. Here’s the entire list of all Kevin dolls ever released:
- Cool Tops Kevin 1989
- Kevin Cool Boyfriend of Skipper 1990
- Pet Pals Kevin 1991
- Basketball Kevin 1992
- Cool Crimp Kevin 1993
- Pizza Party Kevin 1994

 the source: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/9992430399993862/
 
the source: https://pl.pinterest.com/pin/352336370844547957/
 
Kevin may be a 14-year old boy, he has blue eyes and he’s mostly blonde. He lacks the standard points of articulation in the knees and waist, which is unfortunate. His head moves only left and right and his arms/legs – forward and backward. Even a modern fashionista can stretch out his arms to the sides, but at least Kevin isn’t so light-weight. Despite his limited articulation, he’s well made and sturdy, he can also stand unsupported. Kevin is the only doll in my entire collection without click-bending legs and I’d put the purchase off for this reason, but I guess, I’ll forgive him for this deficiency. He’s a high-quality doll, you could use him for cracking nuts or self-defense if need be.    




I like Kevin in all his 6 releases, so I could focus more on his stock outfit. I can’t stand the black and white clothes of the Pet Pals Kevin – he looks like a cow, but Basketball Kevin is one of my top favorites. I’ve wanted that yellow-haired doll ever since the African American Baton Twirling Skipper joined my collection. Kevin came with a ball and a pair of shorts to provide a second look. You could also decorate his jacket with stickers if you wanted to. I like it plain though, never been a fan of such improvements.  







Kevin has added some diversity to my Skipper collection. I’m also planning to get some other headmolds like the vintage or the Pizza Party one. I have my favorite releases like the Great Shape Skipper or the Phone Fun Courtney, but so far I have had no luck. Courtney has been very elusive, so keep your fingers crossed!





No comments:

Post a Comment