Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Happy Holidays Barbie 1990



Happy Holidays Barbie 1990 had been on my wish list forever, long before I purchased my very first doll. What kept me from buying her was my reluctance to pay the amount of money she was offered for every time I saw her. In the meantime, there were other Barbies, but Happy Holidays is one of those dolls that aren’t easily forgotten, she’s quite popular and would pop up often, reminding me of her existence and sad deficiency in my collection.

My range of interest regarding Holiday Barbies ends with the 1997 release and I’d love to have them all, but the 1997, 1996 and 1990 are my absolute favorites. Happily two of them already belong to me, although 1990 is still only on her at the moment, but happy anticipation always inspires me to begin writing an entry. As for the remaining Happy Holiday Barbies, the first one to be released was the 1988 edition that remains the most sought after. The first two editions were released only in the Caucasian version, the 1990 was first to come with the AA counterpart, and later on the brunette was also included.



I researched the doll thoroughly before purchasing her, I practically knew every detail of her, but still, when I saw her in person she made quite an impression on me and the first thing that came to my mind was “she’s pink” but that is definitely an understatement. In fact, she’s pink beyond reason and the intensity of the color makes you stop for a moment and look at her when passing by. It’s so fierce that your brain needs a moment to adjust to be able to register other details about the doll.


The dress itself is quite beautiful. The frilly tulle adds to its lightness and the dropped waist to its gracefulness. It closes with the nasty Velcro at the back which, if you’re not careful, will damage the tulle beyond repair. Where have the metal snaps gone if I might ask! Barbie’s jewelry is very repetitive in its design but the color is lovely. I wish there were some more green elements to balance the pink. The necklace is quite interesting and I’m sure I’ve seen it in red on another Happy Holiday doll. Barbie arrived without her stand, her brush or her classic pink pumps that I like so much. Luckily I had the pair that I needed so she’s more or less complete.





The doll’s dress is the first thing you notice when you see her, but it’s the beauty of the facepaint that made her so irresistible to me. Her eyes are striking blue and the green eye shadow brings the color even more. The result is truly magnificent! The doll is instantly recognizable even without her dress. Her magenta lipstick goes well with the eye shadow and her cheeks are blushed. Her facepaint is certainly one of my favorites.


Happy Holiday 1990 is a true beauty and she was the first doll that I ever wanted in my grown up life. Her purchase was only a matter of time although it did take me awfully long to finally add her to my collection. I’m really happy I finally have.

No comments:

Post a Comment