Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Sun Sensation Skipper 1991 continued



When Skipper arrived I was so happy to see she was the Malaysian version which, in my opinion, is so much prettier than the Chinese one. Her hair, as I'd expected, was in a very good condition still holding its original style, however it was also frizzy and unruly. No matter, I've dealt with it with pleasure as the incredible amount of hair would suffice to cover 5 modern Barbie heads!




Skipper's got a Shibajuku Girls' fashion pack outfit which is a perfect fit. I love those outfits, they're really great quality and all separate pieces! Unfortunately, NO shoes of any kind that I had would fit her, and the ones I’ve just purchased are a bit large, but cute. The only problem was her head. It was wobbly and had an awful tendency of falling backwards pulled by the weight of her ginormous hair. I fixed it so now it's fine and even the missing bits are imperceptible, but it required head removal - a very scary experience.



My first Skipper was full of surprises. For example, she was much chunkier than I'd expected, she feels very much a quality doll. Another thing is the articulation at her waist! It's no regular TNT, she has a ball-jointed waist so she can tilt forward, backward and sideways which makes her more posable than Barbie.


Of course, my favorite part of the doll is her big-eyed headmold 1988 which makes her so unique and, as Kewpie 83 observed, so anime-like. See for yourselves.



As it's turned out, doll collecting doesn't necessarily have to lead to destitution and often means just a compromise between the doll's price and her condition, sometimes it requires a bit of an effort to restore her to her previous glory. Sometimes giving up on a doll is unavoidable, there are others, and maybe with patience and persistence I might add her to my collection after all. But doll collecting is always a ton of fun and an incredible satisfying experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment