Monday, March 25, 2019

The Classique Collection Opening Night Barbie 1993


Though I haven’t been collecting long, I can already see how things have changed amongst my dolls. At first, there were dolls that just stole my heart but somehow our paths haven’t crossed and I don’t miss them all that much. On the other hand, there were dolls that didn’t impress me when I first saw them, but as time passed, I began to appreciate them and now I can’t imagine my collection without them. Opening Night Barbie 1993 doesn’t fit in either of those groups. The doll simply took my breath away with the first picture I saw of her and I’ve longed for her ever since. The problem is I operate within a limited budget and it’s sometimes hard to decide which doll I need most at a given time. What actually worked in her favor was the fact that I hadn’t had such a doll in my collection yet.


Opening Night belongs to the excellent Classique Collection series that was released in 1992- 1997 and it consisted of 9 dolls plus 3 AA versions of them. The headmolds that were used to produce the dolls were Mackie, Nichelle, Christie and Superstar. Some of the dolls have 90 degrees bent arms, others – Shani type, most of them have got rooted eyelashes and they are all and every one of them collectible, for grown-ups, not to be played with. At least it’s what the box informs you about. It’s also evident by their hairdos. The dolls’ hair is cut short or glamorously styled. No  past the waist lenght hair, no half ponytails, no humongous bangs. In fact, bangs appear only once and in a very nonchalant form, and there’s only one doll whose hair is truly long and it’s gathered at the top of her head and styled in an extravagant twirly braid. Their outfits are just as elaborate. There’s NO polyester that wraps the dolls around and connects with Velcro. The outfits are perfectly cut and made of high quality fabrics. Their designers seem to have followed only one rule while sketching them – they were supposed to bring the target audience to their knees and they certainly succeeded with me. And if all those marvels are not enough, there were some fashion packs released within the series as well. The Satin Dreams is my favorite, but I like the Fifth Avenue as well because the black puddle “accessory” just disarmed me completely. Yet, unfathomable as it seems, the series is not popular at all! It just doesn’t get as much attention as it deserves. 

Benefit Ball Barbie

City Style Barbie

Evening Extravaganza Barbie AA

Evening Extravaganza Barbie

Evening Sophisticate Barbie

Midnight Gala Barbie

Opening Night Barbie

Romantic Interlude Barbie AA

Romantic Interlude Barbie

Starlight Dance Barbie

Starlight Dance Barbie AA

Uptown Chic Barbie
 the source of the 12 above pictures: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop

Fifth Avenue
the source: http://picssr.com/photos/14049636@N00/page8
 

Flower Shower
the source: https://barnsale.ecrater.com/p/11913736/classique-barbie-flower-shower-fashion

Hollywood Premiere
the source:https://www.amazon.com/Barbie-Hollywood-Premiere-Classique-Collection/dp/B000L78YEQ


Satin Dreams
the source:https://barnsale.ecrater.com/p/11913748/classique-barbie-satin-dreams-fashion
 

Opening Night is not a highly desirable doll and her price is really reasonable. The dolls are well available on Ebay – used, MiB, NRFB, naked, dressed, outfits only, you name it. I selected a NRFB with her box in a very good condition because, to be honest, I really wanted the box as well. I just wished to be able to admire every aspect of this incredibly luxurious doll. The box is of substantial dimensions, all white and very elegant. There’s this incredible design sketch on the lid that I’m just enchanted with. It’s simply art! Later releases of Classique Collection differ in terms of their boxes which show you the picture of their desighers at the back and contain some information on the designers’ career achievements as well as their own personal thoughts on Barbie. My opening Night is one of the very first releases and the picture and the information on her designer is not on the box but in the catalogue booklet.


I’ve lingered a little describing the box, now let’s move on to the treasures it contains. There’s Barbie – beautifully displayed against the white background. Her accessories are well hidden so that they don’t steal the viewer’s attention from the gorgeous doll. Her black saddle stand, her brush and the shoes can be found behind the inner cardboard. You can find the certificate of authenticity there. The only accessory that you can actually see upon opening the box is the catalogue booklet, strategically placed there to tempt and torment you and on design, no doubt. Cruel Mattel! The catalogue plays a dual role too. It’s also a kind of warranty for one year- long expired. The doll is still perfect though, time has no effect on her. The cover of the catalogue shows you some most obscenely beautiful drawings of Opening Night and City Style 1993 – next Classique doll on my wishlist.  The catalogue presents Barbie’s exciting weekend in Paris and all the outfits she took to wear there, for instance my favorite Satin Dreams and the Flower Shower set. The last two pages contain the information on Janet Goldblatt who designed all the wonderful things you can find in the little catalogue as well as Mattel’s objectives in creating this spectacular line of dolls.










Now when you look at Opening Night, you may think she’s just another smiling Superstar in a dress of some large proportions. It’s true, but although I’ve got a plenty of Superstars – the redheads, the brunettes and several shades of blonde, she’s the only one with jet black hair, and short too. Her hair is but shoulder length. She sports no bangs and that’s fortunate because they’d shade and obscure the beautiful face. Opening night is also unique because she’s got rooted eyelashes. And they’re perfect too, which I was a little worried they might not be because rooted eyelashes are not Mattel’s strong suit or at least they’re not consistently good at them. The lashes are long but not too long and not too heavy, but they’re romantic. Barbie’s eyes are purple and her eye make-up is most unique. 



The dress is something! While I was waiting for the doll and admiring only her pictures, I thought that perhaps the costume would look better with a long pencil skirt with a slit on the thigh, but when I saw the doll in person I changed my mind and fully appreciated Janet’s design. The most spectacular part of the entire outfit will of course be the silver jacket, so bold in its cut. Just like on Dynasty! The jacket shows Barbie’s shoulders and it’s just crazy! It’s sparkly, there are sequins in two different colors, pearl beads, you name it. The jacket actually closes at the back… with hooks! The skirt is separate and it’s beautiful too. I expected harsh synthetics, but the skirt is so flowy! It’s got some silver trimming that actually keeps its shape and the snap closure. There’s no Velcro whatsoever!





The headpiece is very pretty and it complements Barbie’s simple hairdo. Now the hair is a little boxy but I dare not intervene here. Not now at least, maybe in the future. The jet black hair provides excellent background for the gorgeous earrings. Most of the dolls in the line come with spectacular jewelry. Opening Night got only earrings, but with the jacket on, she’s sparkly enough. Her shoes are the classic Barbie pumps of the 90s. Now if you think the doll can’t be more fabulous, there’s a surprise for you … underneath the skirt. She’s got pink lace panties on, and by that I mean real panties, not printed on, not painted on. The ascot’s not the part of the package, it belongs to a Fashion Avenue pack.



Opening Night is just excellent and a pearl in my collection. She’s so unique, the whole line is. I can’t believe that collectors aren’t crazy about those dolls, they sure deserve it. The dolls are so versatile, there’s a large variety in terms of headmolds, hair, clothes, styles! At the same time, there’s high quality and glamour. I love them. In fact, I’d gladly collect each and every one of them. Oh boy! That doesn’t sound well for my account balance.



No comments:

Post a Comment