Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Sun Sensation Skipper 1991



‘Why is she so orange? Discolored?' My sister asked when I showed her my Skipper's picture

'No, she's just tanned, she's called Sun Sensations Skipper' I answered

'Skin Cancer Skipper's more like it' she replied..... Oh well, my sister's not a dolly person.

1991 Sun Sensation Skipper is a special doll for me - she marks the beginning of my collection. So there I was, sitting by my laptop admiring other collectors' dolls and considering having a collection of my own. I really don't know how many times I'd done that. Dismissing general public opinion as insignificant, my main concern was the money. How could I afford dolls when there were so many other priorities. Urgent and immediate needs! No time in my life had ever seemed right for doll collecting... and then I saw her. The Sun Sensation Skipper available online, so well within my reach.


Seeing this doll brought out some lovely childhood memories. I must have been 7 or 8 when I used to play with Barbies with my cousin. At that time I had 4 Barbies, she had 20, Skipper amongst them, and although my cousin wasn't a selfish girl, Skipper was very special to her and no-one but her could ever play with the doll.I dreamt of this huge-eyed cutie, but never got her, now I could, paying less than I normally do when I go to my baker's!!!!!


I quickly ran through the photos and the description which presented a doll without a thread of an outfit and missing some bits in her neck area which apparently made her head loose. The pictures also showed something else - a pretty little doll with an impeccable facepaint and the most ridiculously voluminous hair in a good condition. I thought, for this price I could take the risk! And I did!
To be continued....

No comments:

Post a Comment