Friday, March 8, 2019

Locket Surprise Ken 1993



Holy cow! The 90s have just exploded like right into my face so my eyebrows are still smoking and my brain is taking a while to process the information that my eyes are so desperate to transfer! Wow, this Ken is something! I mean, he is not a surprise gift, I selected him myself on the basis of the pictures I’d seen online, but the pictures failed to convey all the shine and shimmer about him! Ladies and Gentlemen, presenting you Locket Surprise Ken 1993!


The Locket Surprise series was produced in 1993 and it included Barbie, Barbie AA (Christie 1987), Kayla (Teresa 1990) and Ken (Alan 1990). The dolls came with a set of make-up accessories- lip gloss or blush as well as a picture of Ken for Barbie, Barbie for Kayla and Ken AA for Barbie AA. The gimmick was that these could be placed in a secret compartment in their chests. The compartments were heart-shaped and had tiny little locks. Now, who do you think had the key to all those locks? Ken of course, but about that in a minute, now the below commercial presents Barbie and Ken. 




the source: https://www.coroflot.com/anapdesign/Product-design


Now, I’m not all that crazy about Locket Surprise Barbie. The gimmick is a little too much for me, and her body isn’t the regular TNT – the waist doesn’t turn for the “locket” in her chest, but Ken is just another story. He’s out of this world and so colorful that I’m calling him Mr. Marvelous Peacock. Now Mr. Peacock’s been given the Alan 1990 facemold and although the New Superstar will always be my favorite, I’m getting fond of Alan. His hair is two toned and the style reminds me of MacGyver. Of course he likes sun a lot, but he’s not quite as orange as my other Ken is. His eyes are brown and green and blue – an interesting combination and are a little narrower and deeper set than those of my Super Star Ken 1988. When he arrived, his face was sticky and shiny but baby tissues worked their usual magic and now he’s fine.





Regarding his outfit, I imagine some artists working on it and having a hell of a fun. Let’s throw a golden shimmery jacket with golden buttons, add to that a flowery vest, crazy colorful, gold buttons here as well. Not enough! Give him a pink shirt, a pink pink shirt if you know what I mean! What about the pants? Teal green, striped, make the stripes shiny. Sure, done, and the shoes? Green, green, greeeeeeen! Throw a pair of socks… tulle socks! Is that it? No, the key for the locks, give him a golden chain, make him wear it on his heart! – Seriously, were they drunk or stoned?! I don’t know but I looooove the result!







Now the golden jacket has some signs of wear, but that’s alright and he looks perfect otherwise. The designers gave Ken as many layers as they could, but not to make him much bulkier, they combined a sleeveless shirt with the vest. At least, when he takes off his jacket, he can show off his muscles. I love the attention to details that used to be one of Mattel’s defining features and the tiny little golden buttons on the jacket and the vest are just an example that demonstrates just how important for the company the tiny little things once were. It’s just such a pitty they’ve lost it somewhere on their way.





Ken’s box also contained a white box with a golden lid and a fragrance gift for Barbie inside. The cosmetic is so old that it’s completely dried out and it doesn’t smell anymore but it’s a nice touch and it’s consistent with the series. As the box shows, Ken intended to give it to Barbie who’d put it in her locket. And speaking about the box, my Ken’s used but his previous owner kept the box. The window is cracked and yellowed but I’d never throw it away. A box often tells a bit of a doll’s history and this time its tag revealed that the doll once occupied one of Fred Meyer shelves. Now Fred Meyer no longer exists on itself, it was founded in 1922 and merged with Kroger in 1999 but apparently still holds its name in 4 states. Fred Meyer is considered to be one of the pioneer stores to combine different compartments in one place so as to make one stop shopping a reality. It’s always interesting to me what places a doll’s been to before she or he came into my possession. It’s been a long way but Mr. Marvelous Peacock , ehhhm Ken has finally arrived at his destination. Welcome home!







A little bonus – both of my vinyl men posing together, which one is more handsome?





No comments:

Post a Comment