Thursday, March 7, 2019

Sentimental Journey



I’ve recently been on vacation to my hometown. Little did I know that my holiday would turn into a sentimental journey to the places and times I strongly associate with dolls. Three charming ladies accompanied me on my journey to the past – the Midnight Princess 1997, Happy Holidays 1990 and Royal Romance 1992 and although I didn’t take any doll with me, I happily acquired the three Barbies while I was away. I consider my vacation very successful in every way, dollywise as well – the first two dolls had been high on my wishlist. The third one was purchased simply because I couldn’t resist, I mean, who would?


There’s a charming little park in my hometown. When passing its gates one can see an ancient tree that, to my mom’s horror, I used to climb frequently when I was little. On the right there’s a large pond with a fountain at its center. The waters of the pond reflect an 18th century manor. There used to be a preschool there that I would go to as a little girl. The manor is quite impressive, however, it sadly turns into disrepair now that it’s no longer accommodated or used in any way.






I grew melancholy upon the sight of the slowly dilapidating manor, however it brought some happy memories as well. I remember bringing my very first Barbie to the kindergarten. At that time, owning a genuine Barbie was a privilege in my country and every little girl dreamt of having one or at least a clone that would substitute the luxurious Mattel doll. My first Barbie doll was the gorgeous Super Star 1988.





I was fully aware how lucky I was to own her and with that in mind I did my best to take a good care of her, as far as a child of 5 or 6 can. The doll had to endure a lot, I would bring her to preschool in my Little Mermaid themed backpack where she bumped her head on numerous object of its most indispensable equipment, such as a Barbie brush, crayons, sticks and stones, and a lunchbox with a sandwich that I would never ever eat.




My Super Star would climb the ancient tree with me and she would participate in bike races round the mansion. The doll was my faithful companion in so many play activities for years. Later other Barbies would join her, such as the United Colors of Benetton, Sun Sensation and Cool Looks. An unidentified Pocahontas and a winter-themed Steffi Love also had their episode, but Super Star was always special and my all-time favorite.




As I grew older, I owned my dolls rather than played with them (an early collecting tendency?) until I finally decided it was time for me to grow up. I was a teenager after all. So I reluctantly handed my dolls over to my little sisters (much younger than me) who weren’t quite so gentle with them as I was. I’ll omit the most painful details, but let’s just say my sisters were curious little girls and decided to fully investigate the leg bending mechanism… Oh well, it wasn’t their fault, they were brought up in different times and reality when Barbie dolls were more widely accessible and not so much objects of luxury anymore. Since my sisters were so destructible, at least I didn’t have any scruples and I would often and without any inhibitions check their Bratz dolls … for any damages, of course.




I wish I brought my new Super Star with me. She’d look spectacular in the shades of the tree and with the mansion in the background. I will one day, but until I do, the three beautiful ladies will take her place in front of the camera looking all glamorous and magnificent.




So many years have passed since I last brought a Barbie doll to the park. I no longer play with them strictly speaking, but my dolls give me every bit as much joy as they used to, back in the past.

No comments:

Post a Comment