Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Midnight Princess Barbie 1997




‘’Whoooooaaaa, she’s gorgeous! She’s one of the prettiest Barbies everrrrr! And her dress is so well made! It looks like … like Hogwarts emblems!” - my younger sister exclaimed, ever supportive in my dolly adventures and always ready to defend me should anyone dare express doubt that it’s entirely appropriate for a grown woman to collect dolls. She was so impressed by Midnight Princess 1997 that I decided I’d be calling her “Hogwarts Barbie” from now on. And my sister’s reaction is easily understandable, Midnight is stunning and certainly a very grown up Barbie. Everything about her speaks a collector’s label loud and clear.


Midnight Princess is actually a limited edition doll and belongs to the Winter Princess Collection that includes 5 dolls. The first of the series was the Winter Princess 1993 followed by the Evergreen Princess 1994 and then consecutively the Peppermint Princess 1995, the Jewel Princess 1996 and finally my Midnight Princess 1997. To me Midnight is the most beautiful and extravagant of them all. She’s equally charming as a brunette.


                             the source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/midnight-princess-barbie-doll-17780

Each of the gorgeous dolls apparently comes with a stand and a certificate of authenticity with the number assigned at production. Apparently – I’m not sure as mine came only with a stand and although I’m not crazy about boxes I wish I could have hers for the amazing artwork on the lid. It looks like a masterpiece to me created by a talented artist. Each of the 5 dolls comes in a beautiful box with a removable lid instead of a traditional window.

 the source: the Internet

I have long admired Midnight, but she was always priced out of my budget range. But this time a collector was letting her go and at a reasonable price which dropped even lower before I contacted her with an offer. The doll arrived practically new, her hair never brushed, her dress without a speck of dust and with 4 stands.



The doll herself is beautiful. She’s got two-toned saran hair styled with simplicity and taste adorned with a sequin head piece. Her make-up is subtle not to steal attention from her cold eyes and only the burgundy lipstick adds color to her pallid face. She is a winter doll after all. Her jewelry is very simple and generic and so it should be as the dress is decorative beyond expression.



The “Hogwarts dress” is a stroke of genius on the part of the designer. It is a repetition of the “Ribbon dress” worn by Happy Holiday Barbie 1997 but the colors, the arrangement and the general style make it so much different. The bodice is a combination of the heavy, elaborately embroidered velvet adorned with colorful sequins and see through tulle with golden specks. To my great surprise the cuffs come separate! The dress closes with metal snaps at the back. The bottom part of the dress is the heavy black velvet with a cascade of multicolor ribbons.





I’m a huge fan of winter themed Barbie dolls, they’re so extravagant and top quality and both Winter Princess Collection and Happy Holidays belong to my favorite series. They’re unique, each doll one of a kind. It’s clear that they’re the result of their designers’ great power of imagination, creativity. Add to that the sweet superstar mold and the outcome is pure perfection!

No comments:

Post a Comment