Monday, March 25, 2019

Dolls of the World Mexican Barbie 1995



As I’ve promised, I’m showing you my new Miexican Barbie 1995 today. My small collection of DotW is steadily growing in numbers and I’m already tracking some other dolls in this line. But let’s focus on the beautiful reality now which is the Mexican Barbie 1995 and I’d dreamt of her ever since my eyes opened and I finally appreciated the lovely Teresa 1990 headmold. Now I had to wait for my Mexican girl a little, which is a good thing because waiting always makes me appreciate a doll more, but in the meantime I read every single piece of information that I could find on the doll. It’s turned out that the Mexican Barbie – the second edition as she’s sometimes called, was also released as a Christmas Tree ornament by Hallmark. How wonderful it would be to have a Christmas Tree all decorated in Barbie ornaments. I dug even deeper and found some pictures that brought my childhood memories back – the McDonald’s Happy Meal Barbie toys. Those dollies were surprisingly good quality. Most of them had rooted hair, some elements of their outfits were textile, some of these dolls had articulation and stands and their faces were pretty and detailed. These dolls were really good copies of the regular scale Barbie dolls to the extent that a McDonald’s miniature could go.




the source: https://www.amazon.in/McDonalds-Barbie-Dolls-World-Complete/dp/B007INRFQE

the source: https://www.ebid.net/us/for-sale/hallmark-keepsake-ornament-mexican-barbie-1998-174478374.htm

There’s been so many Mexican Barbie dolls released that to cover all of them, I’d need a separate entry. I made life a little easier for myself and divided them into two groups. The 80s and 90s releases are covered here along with the review of the first edition Mexican Barbie and todays entry will focus on the more contemporary productions. So let’s begin. In 2004 Mattel created a fabulous doll – the Princess of Ancient Mexico inspired by the Aztecs. The doll belongs to a branch of Dolls of the World series called the Princess Collection, she bears the Goddess headmold and she’s simply spectacular! Then in 2006 in another DotW subseries – the Festivals of the World - Cinco de Mayo made her appearance. The doll is to celebrate the Battle of Puebla and the victory of the Mexican over the French. Now in 2011 the Mexico Barbie was produced much to the discontent of some part of the wider audience. The doll was considered stereotypical and even racist to some because she was accompanied by a Chihuahua and she got a passport. Now I don’t believe it was Mattel’s intention to hurt anybody’s feelings and inflict even a greater injury to themselves in the process. To me the doll is beautiful and she’s not the only one to come with a passport and an animal but I’ll let the topic rest because I only see her through my own perspective and experiences. Not discouraged by the negative feedback that Mattel received on the Mexico Barbie 2011, in 2014 they went on to release the Mariachi Barbie. As you can see, there’s quite a number of them and if any has been missed, please do correct me.  And also please excuse me if the release/production dates aren’t exactly accurate. I talked of the dolls that I actually don’t have and my source has been Google. 


the source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/princess-of-ancient-mexico-barbie-doll-c2203


the source: http://www.banderasnews.com/0704/nw-barbie.htm

The source: http://yousense.info/6661636573/faces-in-the-world-of-pink-kattis-dolls.html

The source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/barbie-dolls-of-the-world-south-america/mexico-barbie-doll-bcp74


I purchased my Mexican Barbie 1995 NRFB and this time I managed to take some pictures of the doll still in her box, which is quite an achievement for me and it required a great deal of self-control. The box itself is in an excellent condition. It’s amazing to think that the doll spent 24 years in it and that both look as if the’d been just produced! The back of the box gives you some information on the country of this doll’s origin and there are the pictures of some other releases. There’s my Japanese and my Irish girls and the Norwegian that I don’t have but I’d like to. The doll’s accessories are her saddle stand, her shoes and her brush.





Mexican Barbie 95 is a cute girl. She’s based on the Teresa 1990 headmold. Her cinnamon complexion and her natural facepaint give her a very youthful look. Her eyes are chocolate brown and there’s just a whisper of flesh- toned eyeshadow. Actually, the doll’s only make-up is her red lipstick. When I compare the Mexican and the Italian Barbie dolls that are in my collection, I can see how different looks you can get out of the same headmold. The Mexican Barbie has beautiful, jet black saran hair styled in two twirly braids with some green ribbon woven into. There’s a single flower in her hair and her jewelry is also flower-shaped.





The doll’s outfit is a one-piece. The adorable dress is in Mexico national colors and it’s very detailed. I especially like the top with the lace trimming. The lace that you can see has some flowers printed on it. I'd gladly wear a blouse like that myself. It looks so realistic. The bottom part of the dress is very colorful and there are many different patterns that go surprisingly well together. There’s some glitter there too, but the amount isn’t distracting. When I took the doll out of her box, the glitter was all over her face, you can see it in some pictures. The bottom of the dress is also trimmed with lace and the doll’s wearing some black classic Barbie heels of the 90s.





I think that Mexican Barbie 95 is just adorable. She’s so subtle and pretty and modest. She’s one of the brightest jewels in my DotW collection. I’m so happy to finally have her, I feel almost fulfilled in terms of the Teresa 90 headmold and I’m only missing the Hollywood Hair Teresa to achieve perfect happiness in that respect for some time and then I'll yearn for more because a collector is such an insatiable creature. But that’s in the future, the reality is equally beautiful when I look at my two Mexican dolls, same origin, yet so different.






No comments:

Post a Comment