Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Super Star Barbie 1993 Walmart Special Edition



1988 Super Star Barbie is the very first Barbie doll I’ve ever got, or the first one that I can remember for that matter. That makes her the most beautiful Barbie ever, a very subjective opinion of course. It’s incredible, but I can still remember the day when my mom bought her for me although I must have been 5 or 6 back then. So now I keep looking for that special doll with patience, persistence and regularity so it’s become my habit to search for the doll once a week while drinking my morning coffee. So far no success, but on one morning, to my surprise, I came across another Super Star Barbie. This one was released in 1993 as a Walmart special edition and is nothing like my doll, but she caught my eye.

The doll was available online, she looked shipshape and came complete in her stock outfit, including shoes and a movie award. Her jewelry and even her headpiece were in place. The only thing that was missing was her brush. Her owner even had her original box, though badly battered. Her hair looked as if never touched by a brush. Her price was better than great considering all the above, yet no-one seemed to want her.


Why was no-one bidding? She’s pink, I admit. Ok, very pink, ridiculously pink, add to that those neon orange brocade stars all over her dress and it almost hurts. Unbelievable but very 90s! And then I thought there was a certain charm about this doll, the charm hardly noticeable for all the pink that obscured it. But when you look at her face, her cat-eye and her brow somewhat sharp … that girl’s fierce! Just take a look at her next to the sweet-looking Birthday Surprise 1991 and you’ll know what I mean.




Now, as my collection was seriously deficient in pink, I entered bidding and as the auction was coming to an end I got more and more uneasy that I might lose this one. I didn’t, the doll arrived and made quite an impression on me.



Now her box, which has seen better days, is still precious to me as a part of the doll and a valuable source of information. The back of the box shows the doll in all her glory as the best actress of the year.




Barbie’s dress is really hard to describe, but it’s layers upon layers of varying shades of pink, finished with orange brocade stars. The bodice is ruffled and has an iridescent front. The dress is all one-piece and holds its shape beautifully. Her shoes are my favorite classic Barbie heels, hot pink of course. Her jewelry is simple and silver and consists of a pair of earrings and a matching ring. In my opinion, all that pink looks better on an AA version of the doll, but that one seems to be quite rare.

Her hair, however, is a hot mess! She has probably never been brushed, it’s got frizzy when shipped, but the hair was never great quality in the first place. It feels much cheaper than that of my other ladies and resembles lignin. I’ve tried to tame it a bit, but gave up afraid I might make it even worse. The doll turned out to be faulty too. Her twist’n’turn waist doesn’t twist or turn and one of her legs doesn’t bend at all. That’s fine for a doll that’s to be just displayed but I would have appreciated if I’d been informed about that in the auction description to be honest.


The more I look at her, the more I love that ferocious Pink Meringue as I’ve called her. Hope she doesn’t mind it.

No comments:

Post a Comment