Wednesday, March 13, 2019

United Colors of Benetton Barbie 1990



Christmas is long over, but I still have one gift to open, it’s a little late because the package took some time to arrive. To be perfectly honest, I bought it for myself, because I’d been a good girl all year so I’d earned it. Seeing the United Colors of Benetton Barbie has brought some very happy childhood memories, because many, many, many years ago my mum got her for me when I was still a little girl. Oh how I adored that doll and everything about her – her voluminous, soft, crimped hair, her incredible outfit and her smiling, red lips. So when I saw her available on Ebay in a great condition and with her stock apparently complete, I grabbed her before somebody else did because this doll is very popular and when she pops up, she never stays available for long.


There’s been at least three Mattel x United Colors of Benetton collabs to the best of my knowledge and the first one took place in 1990. Three dolls reached the US market then – Barbie, Christie and Kira and Europe was treated preferentially – two more dolls were released there – Ken and Teresa. Teresa is widely sought after for her obvious beauty and commands higher prices than all the rest taken together. One funny thing- Kira was called Marina in Europe for some inexplicable reason. All 5 dolls were dressed in bright, colorful clothes whose pieces seemed to conflict with each other but when you took two steps back and looked at it again, it all worked! And if Barbie wanted to change into something else but equally spectacular, the two companies released a line of fashion packs. I love the one designed for Ken as it’s Formula 1 inspired. That’s because in 1986-2001 the Benetton Group owned the F1 team that was called the Benetton Formula. In 2002 it changed its ownership and the name into Renault F1.





the source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/65290859@N05/5995260866

In 1991 the two companies joined forces again and produced 5 equally lovely dolls- the same characters. The dolls were given new outfits and facepaint and I’d love to have them too as well as the amazing playset that accompanied them – the United Colors of Benetton Boutique. Then in 2005 more dolls under the same logo left their factories, but my knowledge on them is very limited as they’re past the Superstar Era. These dolls’ outfits were no longer so lovely and they were supposed to reflect some fashions characteristic of big cities such as New York, Paris or Stockholm. They were packaged in clear plastic tubes like socks or knickers. The below commercial presents them. 




My Benetton Barbie isn’t new but her hair is still very soft, shiny and crimped and a conditioner even brought the crimps further. A bath also helped to tame the crazy bangs that looked very much Wet’n Wild. Barbie’s face doesn’t seem to differ very much from any other dolls of that period, but to me she’s instantly recognizable. I love how simple her eyes are kept, they’re striking blue with a detail of tiny lavender moon crescents. Her navy blue mascara, eyeliner and shadow make her eyes really pop and her red lipstick and the chocolate brown eyebrows give her a very feisty look.





I’m a little disappointed with her outfit though. The red velvet jacket and the mini skirt are a little faded as are her blue floral leggings and her pouch but that’s the reasonable compromise I had to accept to get the doll at all. Benetton Barbie is very popular amongst the collectors worldwide and this is reflected by her price and availability. I may in time get a better condition outfit for her, but for now I’m happy that her stock is more or less complete. The jacket is blue trimmed and has a nice floral detail to it. The yellow half turtleneck should have the application too, but I guess it’s a replacement. I remembered the jacked and its every detail but somehow I can’t recall the navy blue floral leggings or the pouch that’s made of the same exact fabric. The knee-high socks that Barbie’s wearing over her leggings are pretty interesting and so is her pink bandana scarf. To complete the look, Barbie’s put on a pink felt hat and some pink sneakers. The outfit is really spectacular and the idea seems to be crazy, but that’s the United Colors of Benetton and their unique style.





A collector is and insatiable creature and I’m already making plans to purchase Benetton Christie 1990, she’s such a cute doll. In the meantime, here’s my little childhood Barbie collection that consists of Super Star Barbie 1988, Toys’r’us Cool Looks Barbie 1990 and of course, my lovely Benetton Barbie 1990!



No comments:

Post a Comment