Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Super Star Ken 1988



I’ve had Super Star Ken 1988 on my mind ever since his gorgeous female counterpart joined my collection. I was lucky to have found him amongst a group of dolls that clearly needed a rescue. I recognized him by his outfit and as the picture presented Ken in a pretty decent condition and his price was laughable I purchased him without second thoughts. And thus my very first Ken doll came into my possession.

Here's the Super Star Ken in a commercial:


He arrived in a great need of a bath and his clothes – a wash. Now, as I’ve already mentioned, he was wearing most of his stock outfit that is his silver tux jacket and his shirt-pants-one-piece-thing. He was missing the pink belt, a pair of socks, and his shoes. The ones he had on were black and belonged to a Paul doll, however, as Ken shoes are as rare as unicorns, I’m not whimsical, but very happy to have them. At least Ken isn’t barefoot until I find a better alternative.

The jacket has seen better days, most of the silver is gone, the jacket is now rather grey, but it isn’t torn or otherwise damaged. The one-piece was just dirty, but a gentle wash and ironing was all it needed to look presentable again. The jacket is necessary to cover a little tear, but this doll is 30 years old and has been played with so I’m not complaining.




The doll himself is full of surprises. As a kid I only had a fake Ken but I liked him as he had vinyl click bending legs, but I never had the real thing. Ken’s turned out to be quite posable. Not only has he got the bending legs and TNT waist, but he can also extent his legs and his neck allows Barbie-like head articulation.





The arrival of the very first man in my collection has become an unusual event and caused much excitement amongst my ladies.







No comments:

Post a Comment