Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Skipper Trendy Fashions #8152 1989



Some time ago, three beauties, namely Pet Doctor Barbie, Standard E/C and Midge presented some Fashion Avenue sets and now it’s Courtney’s turn. Courtney’s bangs still refuse to succumb to my hair treatments, so I gave up and just gave the girl a hairclip so she doesn’t look like she has a bad hair day. The fashion pack that Courtney is wearing is the Skipper Trendy Teen Fashions #8152 and I’ve wanted to have it ever since my very first Skipper, neglected and unattired, arrived and at long last, here it is.


I purchased the set as NRFB, but keeping it that way wouldn’t be me and in any case, my Courtney doll sure needed it so I just took some pictures before I separated the plastic window from the cardboard which had been glued together ever since 1989. The outfit was attached to a cardboard sheet with a white thread. That always makes me smile, because it’s so unlike the contemporary way of securing dolly wardrobe with plastic thingies that tear a hole in the outfit! I’m really impressed not only with the care the outfits used to be handled by Mattel but also with the variety of fashions that they once offered. The back of the packaging shows 6 different sets, mine amongst them, and I’d love to have them all. It doesn’t present all of them, there were so many their pictures wouldn’t fit the cardboard! What is more, each set came with a pair of shoes, because Skipper has a unique shape of foot and a boombox because teenagers love to listen to music all the time. There appear to be 2 versions of my set and one comes with 2 bottles of coke. Mine doesn’t but I happen to have the bottles that look identical to the ones that I’m missing.





My set consists of a blue top that’s made of the kind of shiny fabric that used to be very popular back in the 80s and 90s amongst dolls and whose name escapes me now. The top is trimmed with a pink thread and it closes with Velcro that already caught the skirt! The skirt is two layers and the outer one is very lovely. It’s made of mesh of some sort and it’s got polka dots all over. It should tie at the back, but it’s a little loose that way, so I had to tie it around her waist under the skirt and it looks fine. My only regret is that the pink shoes are poorly made. The edges are thin and uneven and one of them broke after 5 minutes. But then again, the set is 29 years old now! My initial disappointment disappeared when I saw the curious contraption that Skipper or Courtney would listen to music with. It’s not the regular boombox but a combination of a gramophone / turntable and a cassette player. There are two speakers too and all there pieces have been made very well indeed. The stickers are nice and I didn’t have to put them on myself. The outfit reminds me of Teen Fun Party 1987 Skipper, and although their releases are 2 years apart it looks to me as if Mattel had a lot of fabric leftovers and so they put together my fashion pack. The two dolls sure look very lovely together.






Courtney invited Skipper over, each of them brought their accessories and they decided to throw a party especially for one of my readers - Arima. While they’re waiting for the other girlfriends to arrive, they’re drinking some cream sodas and listening to Britney Spears and the set that I used as the props and scenery is called Furniture & Accessories 2016. It consists of a table and 2 chairs, 2 heart shaped plates, 2 wine glasses, 2 sets of cutlery, a menu, a vase with a flower, a snack tray and … a puppy! Oh well. The remaining accessories, apart from the coke bottles, belong to the Teen Fun Party Skipper. Finally, the other Skipper dolls arrived. I can assure you that they behaved nicely and went to bed before 10 PM.








No comments:

Post a Comment