Monday, March 11, 2019

Teen Time Skipper 1988



Packing is still in progress and almost at an end, Hubby’s systematically transporting freshly taped boxes. I needed a respite and I still have my pendrive with pictures of my vinyl ladies (and two gentlemen of course, I keep forgetting about my 2 Kens) so I thought I might concoct an entry before I get entirely disconnected from the world in our Dreamhouse, especially that I got a new addition to my collection that I just managed to restore and take pictures of, before packing her to one of two cardboard boxes containing all my treasures.

I have 5 Skipper dolls in total and I still neeeeed more, Courtney most urgently now! The new arrival and the packing made me take them all out and put them in a row for admiring and deeper scrutiny. I observed that none of them is perfect and they’ve all had it rough!
  1. Sun Sensation Skipper 1991 arrived nude and with a loose neck, her head pivoting freely!
  2. Cool Tops Skipper 1989 came all dusty and when I washed her head she lost much of her hair.
  3. Teen Fun Party Skipper 1987 was purchased NRFB but she was far from perfect – she suffers from spotty vinyl.
  4. Wet’n Wild Skipper 1989 is fiercely orange and her fringe resembles one big cotton pad!
  5. Teen Time Skipper 1999 has bangs just like Wet’n Wild and her hands had been chewed on!!!




Having opened the parcel and taken Skipper out, I screamed with joy and sneezed a couple times, I got lots of dust as a bonus. Skipper went to spa right away. There she took the usual treatments – the hair submerged in fabric softener for several hours, near boiling water (kanekalon) and such and she left it much prettier. I recreated her factory hairstyle up to a point. Her crimped hair reclaimed their waves, but the bangs …. well they resist gravitation with all possible force and they’re no worse than Wet’n Wild in that respect. I tamed the fringe with a beret stolen from my daughter and this will do for now.





The unruly fringe now held forcibly by the beret doesn’t obscure the lovely face. For Barbie’s little sister, her make-up is a little too much. Perhaps she’s stolen Barbie’s make-up kit or maybe Barbie’s done her face… Anyway, her eyes are standard blue with a blue eyeshadow and a pink one that reaches her brows! Her lips are pastel pink. A single lash on the lower lid gives the effect of smiling eyes, how adorable is that!



The outfit, however, is everything that I could possibly wish for – multilayer/ multifunction! Skipper’s wearing something between a shirt and a jacket, white with pink stripes. There’s a T-shirt underneath that imitates denim with a decal on it. The decal is in perfect condition too. And there’s a skirt that’s no skirt at all. It’s a … nightie and a pair of matching bloomers that look more like shorts now that the elastic bands are no longer elastic. There should be a pair of fluffy slippers, but they got lost just like the rest of her plastic and cardboard accessories. The plastic set consisted of a classic brush, a drink, a diary and a pen, a triangle alarm clock and a round, functioning handbag that looks like a hat box. The last two accessories are deeply rooted in my memories. My Cool Looks Barbie had them too. Fortunately, Skipper still has her tennis shoes and her socks! Yes, socks! That’s the magic of the 80/90’s dolls! Now show me a modern Skipper/Barbie with socks, please, because I haven’t seen one for decades!








My Skipper dolls may not be in mint condition, but their imperfections reflect their history. Surely, Teen Time Skipper’s previous owner loved her so much she could eat her, and she even tried. This doesn’t matter, because when I was little, I’d let my own hands to be chewed on for just one Skipper doll. Well, maybe not exactly and not so painfully, but you get my meaning, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment