Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Dream Date Barbie 1982



To say that Date Barbie 1982 is a doll long awaited is an understatement. The search for her began on day two of my collecting. The reason why it took me so long to find her was that the doll is hardly available on my local auction portals and although Dream Date comes in great abundance on Ebay, I set certain criteria that I would not abandon no matter what. I would accept nothing less than a doll made in the Philippines with hair in good condition and dressed in her stock outfit. It would be great if she came with her earrings, the ring and the shoes would be missing – that I was sure of, but I wouldn’t mind their absence. And forget about her additional accessories. The price limit would be a decisive factor of course. Having that in mind, I searched and searched and at long last, I found her!

Dream Date Barbie series needs no introduction, but I’ll do it anyway because it gives me great pleasure and joy to talk about these excellent dolls. The line was manufactured in 1982 and it consisted of 3 characters: Barbie, P.J. and Ken. I’d love to have Ken in my collection for his dark hair and all the elegance that surrounds him, but it’s Barbie and P.J. I longed for. P.J. is extremely hard to get as she’s so gorgeous that collectors fight for her and fiercely too, even if she pops up nude, dirty and bitten. And I can understand them all too well. Both ladies differ in terms of their headmold and hair color but their outfits are identical but for the color scheme so they go really well together. By the way, I love the promo picture supposedly taken in NY and there are WTC towers in the background. The three dolls were also released in a slightly less elegant but equally appealing version in the Barbie and Friends giftset 1982. Can you imagine so much beauty in one box? Dream Date Barbie was released once more in 1989 as a special convention edition – Barbie 30 years in Seattle that was to commemorate Barbie’s turning thirty! The doll’s dress isn’t as spectacular as the original one, but it’s the same doll.


 the source:http://www.flickriver.com/photos/barbiecreations/5108527734/

the source: http://steffiedolls.wikifoundry.com/page/1983+Barbie+and+Friends+Gift+Set

the source: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/dream-date-barbie-1989-30-years-1074998399


Later on, Mattel produced Dream Date Skipper in 1990. The doll is quite interesting, she’s wearing a blue transformation gown and she comes with some wigs, but there seems to be no connection with the 1982 line. Then Mattel came up with an idea that it would be great to release a board game in which Ken would take Barbie on a date, a Dream Date, nothing less. The game was produced in 1992 and to be perfectly honest, I like the idea. The game costs quite a penny though. Of course, Dream Date Barbie is very much iconic so she got her reproduction in 2015. The doll is not an exact copy of the original release, but she’s managed to capture the charm and glamour of the 80s to be sure. There’s just one more doll worth mentioning in relation to Dream Date Barbie and that is Fruhlingszauber Barbie 1983 that is an exclusive release for Germany. She’s wearing a very lovely spring themed gown, but the doll herself is very much like Dream Date.

 the source: https://www.flickr.com/photos/julia-yvonne/6783476563

the source: https://barbie.mattel.com/shop/en-us/ba/gold-label/dream-date-barbie-doll-cht05

Just like many other Barbie dolls of the early 80s, Dream Date was being produced both in the Philippines and Taiwan at the same time. So it follows that various dolls may differ in terms of eye facepaint as well as the color intensity and the head vinyl. However, when browsing for this doll on ebay, I had the impression that each Dream Date was slightly different. Finally, I found my dream Philippine that was definitely meant to belong to my collection. The doll’s facepaint is so soft and there’s mildness in her expression. Her eyes are purple and so is the smoky eyeshadow that graces them. Theres just a hint of blush on her cheeks and her lips are peach color and very thin. The doll is just precious! There’s but one tiny flaw to her face and that is a small paint chip to her left eye. That must have happened in the shipping, because the auction photos didn't show that. I can live with it, I never said my Dream Date had to be perfect anyway. Her gorgeous golden, saran hair looks as if it had never been touched by a brush and certainly her part line looks very much factory condition. It’s evident nobody has ever tampered with it. Her hair was greasy and sticky when the doll arrived but I’d expected that as the previous owner had concealed nothing in the doll’s description. As to her body, Barbie’s feet have those very pronounced toes, so characteristic of Barbie dolls of the early 80s. Her knees bend up to three, which adds to her posability. The legs were a little sticky but baby wipes solved the problem.




Dream Date Barbie’s extravagant outfit is as good as new. In fact, I doubt anybody had ever played with her. It’s probably neither surprising nor original to say that it reminds me the magnificent dresses that Alexis and Crystal of Dynasty would wear. Apparently, the old producers came up with an idea to make a film version of the old soap opera set in the 60s and relating the events from the main characters youth. I wonder about that. I doubt it would be nearly as good as the real thing, but I’d see it if it really appears in movie theaters. Anyway, the top of the outfit is a separate piece. It ties at the back of her neck and it’s made of wool with sequins attached to it. The top has but one flaw and that’s the lack of any sort of snaps or Velcro. The top doesn’t open so you want to be extra careful when removing it. It also has a tendency of loosening up over the years but you can’t deny it’s stylish in the very 80s way.




The skirt is poetry! It’s made of a thick and sturdy kind of polyester with purple piping to add some contrast and dimension to the ruffle. The purple belt with a rosette detail is a part of the skirt and so is the very long ruffle that you can style in as many as ten different ways and there was an instruction manual how to do that. I’ve tried different ways and although I feel I haven’t used its full potential, I had lots of fun literally playing with it. My favorite styles are the original one with the ruffle rolled on Barbie’s right arm and the one with ginormous peppelum. The skirt has a slit to the left side to expose Barbie’s pretty legs.








Barbie also came with her complete jewelry and that is of my most favorite type – the rhinestones set in clear plastic look like new, they’re certainly not scratched and when they catch sunlight, they reflect it creating a rainbow of colors. The presence of both earrings and the ring surprised me a great deal but the shoes even more so. The open toe heels won’t stay on Barbie’s feet no matter how hard you try. They would constantly fall off during the photoshoot despite the fact that the doll was supported by a stand for most of the time. I can’t imagine that a child would avoid losing them which supports my idea that the doll had never been played with. However, Dream Date lost her additional accessories, such as a brush or a hand mirror in Barbie size, but I never expected them so I don’t miss them at all. Anyway, if you were wondering what they look like, the above commercial shows them all. Apart from the tiny paint chip the doll seems to be perfect, doesn’t she. But she’s not, otherwise I wouldn’t be able to afford her. The price was so low and tempting because there are some spots on her right leg. They’re covered by the skirt which is probably why they appeared in the first place. My idea is that the polyester prevented the vinyl from “breathing” so the spots appeared, but the left leg, where the slit in the skirt is, seems to be perfect and there’s no discoloration whatsoever. The spots don’t bother me, if they do, I can always rebody the doll. So far, I’ve been excessively pleased with her.





Dream Date Barbie is extremely popular amongst collectors worldwide to the point that one may feel there’s just about too much of her everywhere. But I can see why she’s so loved. She’s just excellent and she’s one of the most beautiful dolls in my entire collection that is probably not very extensive so saying that “she’s one of the most beautiful dolls I’ve ever seen” sounds more like it. I must have taken about 200 pictures of her to reject a half of the amount and I still couldn’t limit their number to 20. Fearing I might run out of space on this blog, I uploaded some of them on my flickr. But I can’t help it, her foggy facepaint, her glorious hair, her magnificent outfit, the jewelry… I love it all. See for yourselves if she’s not worth all the attention she gets.










No comments:

Post a Comment